By Kris Freeman, Sports Information Director
WHITE HOUSE – A young team made a lot of strides during the 2018-19 season and the White House Lady Devils and first-year head coach Kelly Smelcer and assistant J.T. Jones celebrated the season with players and parents at Colorado Grill Monday night.
Earning a district win for the first time in five seasons, White House relied upon the leadership of two seniors, Allyson Trimmer and Grace Maupin, and a bucket full of underclassmen who will return next year. White House potentially could see three juniors, 10 sophomores and five freshmen take a step up in class and be on the hardwood next season.
Replacing Trimmer and Maupin will not be an easy task, but evident by the award winners Monday night, a lot of talent sits in the remainder of the roster.
Coach Jones, a recent college graduate and first-year assistant, presented certificates to the freshmen and sophomores. Coach Smelcer presented to the juniors and seniors.
Award winners were:
- Grace Maupin, Most Valuable Player
- Allyson Trimmer, Defensive Player of the Year
- Baylee Miller, Offensive Player of the Year
- Emma Wall, Most Improved Player
- Bailey Newman, Sixth Man Award
- Danielle Williams, Hustle Award
- Faithe Johnstone, Rookie of the Year
- Alexis Bess, B.D.P. Award